welcome to cosl!
we are a six-year-old, free-for-all, multiple verses roleplay. register with a username in lowercase that has your alias in it, and make sure you read all the topics in the important forum before continuing. if you need help, contact a staff member and we'll be happy to help you!
featured member
Pages: (7) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

right where it begins, kate!

emily in technicolor

emily     25 years old     she/her
CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 17 2016, 06:50 PM         Quote        
fiona was trying to be a better shop girl. she really was. after a rough initial month, she had sufficiently mastered the art of small talk with the extravagant women who visited her counter. they liked when she complimented their outfits and perfume, and thus, she had gotten comfortable behind her counter. but today, mrs. howard had decided to throw her to the wolves. one of their best sales girls had called in ill, and fi had been thrust onto the floor without her counter for protection.

biting down on her bottom lip, she watched, paralyzed, as the other girls bustled around the floor juggling the desires of multiple customers with ease. meanwhile, all she wanted to do was run back to their musty break room and hide for the rest of her shift. eyes catching on a newcomer to the section, she didn't let herself think too long before she made her way over to him. "can i help ya find anything?" she asked politely, fidgeting and smoothing out an invisible wrinkle in her dress. why he was roaming the hosiery department, she didn't know, but it wasn't her place to ask. the customer was always right and all that. "i'm fiona," she added quickly once she realized she hadn't introduced herself - the first thing one did when meeting a new customer. she really missed her counter.

kate is no one.
hi!
TRIGGERS     rape, incest
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

kate     27 years old     she/her
DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 18 2016, 04:08 PM         Quote        
he'd saved his meager earnings for weeks just to buy something for his mother for her birthday. while leone knew she'd scold him for spending money on her, on something she didn't necessarily need, he knew secretly she'd be pleased and treasure whatever it was her eldest son chose to spend his money on. the problem was deciding what he was going to buy for her. unfortunately, when spending much of his life without money to spend on anything other than necessities, he was left wondering what to even buy someone. he felt out of place the moment he stepped into the store. he pulled his cap off, toying with it in his hands as he was more aware of the patches in his jacket and the fact his pants were perhaps an inch shorter than they should have been. these were the things his mother would point out the money was better spent on.

leone would just need to find her something she could put to some use, so perhaps wandering the hosiery department wasn't the greatest starting point. but he only need to find his way to some other part of the shop. he startled a little when a young woman approached him and his instant thought was that perhaps she was suspicious of him. honestly, he was surprised he hadn't been booted from the store as soon as he stepped foot inside. was it typical for shop girls to introduce themselves? he didn't know. were they also always so pretty? maybe. who wouldn't want to buy something from a pretty girl. should he introduce himself? it seemed odd. "i'm looking for something for my mamma, for her birthday. i've never really been able to by her anything before."

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Aug 7: playing catch up
TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 18 2016, 05:00 PM         Quote        
he was buying something for his mother. fiona had to bite her lip and force herself not to start tearing up at that simple comment. he would think she had gone out of her mind if she just started tearing up at the mention of his mother. not to mention, mrs. howard would be furious if she cried a second time this week. but she couldn't help the fact that her heart ached when anyone so much as mentioned family. she missed her mam. yes, she knew she had come to america for a better life and all that, but she was so terribly lonely without her ma, da, and mattie. the girls at the boarding house were kind, but they couldn't replace her sister.

shaking off the crestfallen look that had overtaken her features, fi forced her best smile as she channeled her energy away from distracting thoughts and towards this nice boy's needs. "your mam? well, you probably don't want anything in this department," she admitted, thinking aloud as the wheels in her mind turned. if it were her ma, she would be over the moon with a simple bouquet of flowers, but he seemed determined to purchase something fancier. "all the women i've helped talk about gloves being a must have. as well as handbags. one woman said that they're everywhere in europe, but i guess they hadn't made their way home yet," she continued, too deep in thought to realize that she may be rambling and boring him.

hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 08:20 AM         Quote        
maybe he was mistaken, but he thought the girl's face had fallen the moment he mentioned the reason he was there. he shifted uncomfortably, worried that she might begin to cry, and he wasn't sure what it was about entirely, but then she seemed to get a hold of herself, putting on a dazzling smile that he thought seemed a bit forced. but maybe he only thought that because of the look that had passed over her face before that.

he glanced around the hosiery department again, nodding as she said he probably didn't want anything from there. he definitely agree with that, as it might seem strange to give his mother a gift of pantyhose, even though she would get use out of them. but would his mother like gloves or a handbag? gloves, perhaps, would be well suited as the weather cooled. she might enjoy having that warmth when she walked to the store for their necessities. he let her finish her rambling before he hesitantly smiled, "i would like to get her something practical, that she'd use often. she's sure to yell at me either way, but if it's at least something she'll use, she can't be too upset i spent money on her."

TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 09:52 AM         Quote        
she liked him. he wasn't rude or pushy like most of the women she helped. in the past month, fiona had noticed there was something about women with money that made them generally rude people. she had long grown used to feeling like she was being looked down upon, but it was still nice to help someone who genuinely seemed interested in her advice. many of her fellow co-workers would likely look down upon him given his worn clothing, but that just meant he was a hard worker. now if only she could find him the perfect present for his mother. it was a lot of pressure, especially if this was the first time he had enough saved to spend on her.

"no, no, no, we will find something she will love," fi was quick to promise earnestly before grabbing his hand and zig zagging through the store toward the glove section. gloves seemed like the most practical item that came to mind as the air started to cool. realizing her impropriety in grabbing his hand and practically dragging him across the store, she dropped his hand as a blush lit up her cheeks once they stood in front of a counter brimming with fine leather gloves. "she will treasure anything you give her," she said in an attempt to sweep her faux pas under the rug. "i tried those fur-lined ones on yesterday, and it felt like i was wearing a cloud."

hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 11:04 AM         Quote        
leone was more than a little surprised as her hand closed around his and they were zig zagging through the store quickly to a more appropriate section for a gift. he didn't think this was typical behavior for one of these shop girls, but he didn't mind it. what man would have an issue with a pretty girl leading him by the hand? so he followed her without complaint, despite feeling like he was being dragged. he couldn't help but laugh as she seemed to realize what she'd been doing and a blush colored her cheeks. he didn't say anything about it, so as not to embarrass her further, and instead focused on the gloves laid out on the counter. he touched their soft leather, frowning slightly as he considered them. "i don't know that i can afford the fur-lined," he said after trying to discreetly look at the price tag. what if he couldn't afford any of them? he felt a hot flush on his neck, embarrassment at the idea of showing up here and then being unable to yet afford a single thing here for his mother. it'd felt like enough, but then, he never went into these fancy department stores, so he'd been unaware of the prices he might find. perhaps he should have stuck with the little family shops of little italy.
TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 11:57 AM         Quote        
shoot, she hadn't even been thinking of the price. with the fancy women, money was never an issue. they seemed to prefer the more expensive items over what they viewed at "cheap." mrs. howard had long since driven home that she should always recommend the most expensive item to a shopper before exploring more inexpensive options. she never would have been able to afford the fur-lined gloves with her wages. "on second thought, i don't think gloves are the right gift," she said right as she noticed the man (she couldn't remember his name, but he never smiled) behind the glove counter begin to give her friend a slow, unappreciative once over. "gloves are very last season. you don't want to waste your money on them," she explained, looping her arm through his (that was acceptable, right?) as she started back toward the center of the store. "what about a scarf? beautiful and practical!"
hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 12:52 PM         Quote        
he fiddled with his cap in his hands a little more energetically as he felt the eyes of the man behind the counter on him. if she had not been with him, he thought he probably would have been kicked out by now. at least by this man in particular. even with her accompanying him, he was still surprised her employer hadn't put an end to it. but he was sure he could afford something in this store, even with only a couple of dollars tucked into his pants pocket. he felt she was saving him from his embarrassment as she changed her tune and said gloves weren't the right gift at all. he didn't think he believed they were last season, whatever that meant. especially when he saw plenty of fine ladies wearing gloves, or holding them with their handbags as they shopped. but he didn't argue it as she led him toward the center of the store. he quickly brightened at the mention of scarves, and he smiled, "yes, a scarf would suit her well," he agreed.
TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 02:53 PM         Quote        
fiona didn't want to jinx it, but she was starting to think she may have a future as a shopping assistant. yes, she hadn't found him the perfect gift yet, but she was doing a fine job of showing him around the store and exploring his options. he was by far the easiest customer she had worked with in her brief time in america, and also by far the handsomest boy she had ever seen. if she could help him, then certainly she could help the rude women. while she didn't plan on being a shop girl for the rest of her life, she wouldn't complain about the higher wages that the girls on the floor received. "does your ma have dark hair like you?" she asked as she lead the way, arm in arm, toward to brightly colored scarves across the way. "i saw a lovely blue scarf just the other day. i think it may even be on sale."
hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 03:42 PM         Quote        
it still felt strange, walking arm in arm with this shop girl. was this the typical way they treated customers? as if they were close friends? he supposed that it might work in selling; it gave the sense that they knew exactly what the customer needed. he was feeling fairly confident now that he would be leaving the shop with a present his mother would love, even if she cuffed him on the ear for wasting money on her. "it's not so dark anymore," he responded, though he didn't think that would make any difference. what did he know, though? women might be particular about that sort of thing, though he didn't think his mother had been particular about fashion at any point in her life. she was too practical. "she would like blue," he agreed, his eyes falling on the scarves displayed. and it'd be even better if it were on sale. an added bonus detail he could say to his mother. mamma, it was on sale.
TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 04:25 PM         Quote        
nodding as he explained that her hair wasn't as dark anymore, she pursed her lips as her eyes ran over the assortment of scarves. who knew there were so many shades of blue in the world. her eye caught on a brilliant orange option, but she quickly ruled that one out as not practical enough. blue went with everything after all. "this one!" she announced happily, releasing his arm to grab the beautiful silky scarf. draping the scarf around his neck, she couldn't help but grin at the ridiculous visual. "if you look anything like your mother, then it will look wonderful on her," she declared, before taking a peek at the price tag. one fifty. a steep price for a fancy piece of fabric, but significantly cheaper than the gloves. "if you use my twenty-five cent discount, then it will only be one dollar and twenty-five cents," she said, keeping her voice low. she wasn't supposed to use her discount on strangers, but she never used it herself so what was the harm?
hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 06:06 PM         Quote        
he still felt slightly overwhelmed as he looked at all the scarf options. there were so many, and he was worrying too much about how his mother would react. the worst she could do was tell him to return it, but he didn't think she'd go that far. she wore scarves. there wouldn't be an issue. he was relieved, then, when his trusty shop girl grabbed up a scarf and draped it around his neck. he smiled down at her, fingering the smooth fabric carefully, though almost afraid to touch it. he too peeked at the price tag. it would leave him with just a small amount left. money he could also give his mother to buy whatever she deemed necessary. he looked up at her quickly, surprised at her whispered offer. "i don't want you to get into any trouble," he said immediately. nothing that would get her fired.
TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 19 2016, 07:34 PM         Quote        
"no, it's fine. i can't afford anything, so i'll never use it myself," she assured him confidently as she pulled the scarf from around his neck and started carefully folding it. one day she would save enough, and she would send her mother a pair of fur-lined gloves and a scarf. ma would think she was crazy for spending so much, but she would treasure the american made presents. what if she saw her again? what if she went the rest of her life never seeing her family? fiona bit down on her lip once again as she fought a new wave of homesickness now that she was no longer distracted with finding him the perfect gift. "you should pick up flowers for her as well," she recommended, her bottom lip beginning to quiver at the thought that she may never buy flowers for her mam again. "a- and you should give her a hug, because i bet she loves you d-dearly."
hi!
ask first to 18+ threads

kate is no one.

DISCORD
CST
tupac
26148 posts
386650 points
currently Offline
Sep 21 2016, 03:32 PM         Quote        
if she was certain that it wouldn't hurt her job any, there was no way leone could refuse a further discount to save even more money. his mother would be thrilled, though he'd leave out that it'd been the shop girl's discount that had made the scarf so cheap. he'd instead brag and tell her that her son was just a very thrifty shopper. she'd perhaps laugh and still cuff him, but at least she might be a bit more open to the idea of the gift.

and then... she truly was about to cry wasn't she? leone shifted uncomfortably as she told him he should pick up his mother some flowers, and it was as she said this that he saw the quiver of her lip. he'd never been good with crying. when his little sisters cried, he'd usually swing them about to get them laughing, but that wasn't appropriate in this situation. especially when he thought she was crying over her own mother. he reached out, hesitantly touching her arm, "you miss your own mother?" he asked her, too uncomfortable to ask if the woman was still alive.

TRIGGERS    
yes to 18+ threads

emily in technicolor

CST
genuwine
1246 posts
23405 points
currently Offline
Sep 21 2016, 04:12 PM         Quote        
no. she was not going to cry, because mrs. howard would be furious. she would never be allowed to work the floor again and would never get a higher wage, and then she would never be able to save enough for her nursing courses. but then he was comforting her, because he was a nice boy, and she was pulling her handkerchief from her pocket and dabbing furiously as her eyes as they filled with tears. "i write every day, but i haven't received any letters from home. why does the mail take so long? the ocean isn't that big. it's been over a month," she babbled as a few stray tears tracked down her cheeks. she knew she was causing a scene (she could feel the eyes on her), but she just wanted to be sad for a moment. sometimes it was hard to be cheery all the time.
hi!
ask first to 18+ threads
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (7) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll

please keep the cbox pg 13!