we are a six-year-old, free-for-all, multiple verses roleplay. register with a username in lowercase that has your alias in it, and make sure you read all the topics in the important forum before continuing. if you need help, contact a staff member and we'll be happy to help you!

Add Reply
New Poll

announcement #18, concerning joint boards
cassie claus.
december 13 • my busy season at work is almost over. i am currently taking on new plots. i am really into comms, rapid fire and long threads at the moment. as always, i really like developing plots and ships, so if you're into that then let's plot together.
pronouns: she / her
timezone: central
mg: red velvet cake
mature? yes
cassie
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 12 2017, 05:50 PM
joint boards
hey everyone!! just a quick announcement about joint boards. the admins have been noticing that we have seen an increase in joint boards being made, which we obviously have no issue with. however, we have noticed that some people have joint boards with just one thing in them or are creating them when they just have one ship. that isn't necessarily what the idea of what joint boards are supposed to be for. they are supposed to be for the people with five or more active ships with multiple threads that are intended to be long term ships. this is a way that they are able to keep everything together and to be organized.

because of this, we have decided to make some changes on the requirements to purchase a joint board. instead of 50,000 points like a personal development board they are going to cost 100,000. the reason for this is because it is a board for two people so we feel like the price increase makes more sense. also, we are going to require that the people requesting the joint board have at least five active threads together. when requesting a joint board in the points shop, please link five active threads. failure to do so will result in your post being deleted and staff not making the board for you.

if a joint board is not posted in for one month, it will be archived and it will cost 10,000 points for it to be moved back. for personal development boards, it will be archived after three months and cost 10,000 points to be moved back as well. the reason for this is because we have been continuously archiving inactive forums and having people ask us to move them back and then not using them again just for us to continue the process.

we hope that everyone understands our decisions and thank you for taking the time to read this.

tracker

crackship

myoa

caroline dunne
06/12 - in amsterdam this week. will try to do replies but please bear with.
pronouns: she/her
timezone: GMT
mg: baked alaska
mature? ask first
caro
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 13 2017, 12:42 AM
I find the increase from 50k to 100k a bit much tbh. I absolutely get that you want them to be used for the right purpose and I agree with that’s but idk 100k is a lot ... might just be me tho

tracker

crackship

plot dump

comms

ghost rider
October 3: Time for some action!
pronouns: He/Him
timezone: EST
mg: gingerbread fudge
mature? yes
ghost.
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 13 2017, 08:44 AM
QUOTE (caroline dunne @ Nov 13 2017, 02:42 AM)
I find the increase from 50k to 100k a bit much tbh. I absolutely get that you want them to be used for the right purpose and I agree with that’s but idk 100k is a lot ... might just be me tho

This. caroline dunne it's not just you. I understand, though.

tracker

i saw sara kissing santa claus
dec 4 - my final exams will be done in NINE days and then i will be freeeeee for some time. i promise everyone i owe replies to will get them asap after that. thank you for being patient with me. luv you <3
timezone: est
mg: croquembouche
mature? yes
sara
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 13 2017, 10:19 PM
caroline dunne, ghost rider

Hello guys. We hear and understand your concerns and displeasure with this change. Unfortunately as Cassie explained, we feel that the use of the joint boards at this point are being abused beyond what they were meant for. We also feel that though 100,000 points is a significant amount, since this is a board shared between two people, the split cost still makes it reasonable for people who have already and are intending to post extensively with each other. As always though, we will monitor how this change goes and make any further adjustments in the future if this rule change does not accomplish what is intended.

tracker

game of thrones

greek mythology
bellamy blake
[ dec 11 ] Look, I really didn't plan on getting sick but I've been getting progressively worse. If you're not interested in waiting around for me, that's fine--feel free to archive. I'm just going to stick to writing with the more understanding people on the site. RP is my hobby and I put a lot of time in it, but my health and wellbeing are far more important to me.
timezone: pst
mature? yes
bellamy
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 17 2017, 12:46 AM
Hey! I honestly still dunno how joint boards work entirely, but I was wondering: wouldn’t it make sense to, instead of having one person spend those many points for the join board, have both people involved spend the 50,000 so that it equals the 100,000? That way, it’s a little bit more fair and motivated both to post because they both spent the points on it? Idk it made sense to me for a minute but I’m pretty tired so I likely didn’t word this correctly!

tracker

crackship

smut

plot dump & adoptables

cassie claus.
december 13 • my busy season at work is almost over. i am currently taking on new plots. i am really into comms, rapid fire and long threads at the moment. as always, i really like developing plots and ships, so if you're into that then let's plot together.
mature? yes
cassie
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 17 2017, 06:35 PM
bellamy blake to make things more clear. points used for joint board purchases can be split between members in whatever way they choose.

tracker

crackship

myoa

reeny
pronouns: she / hers
timezone: pst
mg: gingerbread fudge
mature? yes
reeny
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 23 2017, 01:12 AM
i’ve gone back & forth A LOT on whether i should speak up & say sth here or stay silent (like i’ve done many times before in concerns with this site that i’ve been a member of for a great deal of yrs). i’d like to take this time to remind staff what cosl is SUPPOSED to be. a site away from other sites for people to laid back rp on with one another in a fun stress-free environment. it may be SOME people’s main, but it’s not everyones. not to mention a lot of ppl have lives outside rp. lives that come up & disrupt in a great deal of ways. i don’t feel staff is taking THIS into consideration with these new rules. i realize they feel people are ‘abusing’ the joint board feature & maybe that is true to some degree, but what is that even hurting? there’s no ‘max’ amount of boards you can place there so the only thing i can think of is it being an aesthetic standpoint which is…. just ridiculous tbh. people wouldn’t be spending 50k (or now 100k) of their pts for something they didn’t WANT or intend to use w/one another @ some pt. what does it ‘hurt’ for them to be allowed these boards if they wish to have them?

now on the topic of the switch to 100k (which dsnt even affect me personally), dsnt this seem like a bit MUCH ? you state that it’s bc there’s 2 ppl which i understand. (& again, that it’s to help the situation of ‘abusing’ the feature - tho i feel the 5 active threads bit would suffice in that regard) but taking into consideration the fact that creating a joint board isn’t any more work than creating a personal board for staff it’s ridiculous imo for it to cost 50k more simply because it’s a board meant for 2 ppl instead of 1. i felt 50k for a board was already a lot because it’s not as if that 50k gets you anything except that 1st board which, if being used wat they’re ‘intended’ for, would be a gd mess if u used that & that only. it then costs 5k EACH additional sub forum you want placed in your board to help organize it in w/e way u wish (i’ve seen some do this by character/ship & others do it by ‘comm’ ‘thread’ etc.). do u see y i’m bringing this up? also, u say that 2 ppl can split the pts however they want to create their joint board, but doesn’t it COST pts to be able to transfer pts from 1 account to another? or how is that meant to work?

lastly, y is it that a joint board gets ONE month before an archive whereas a personal board gets THREE months. if you’re going to make a joint board cost 50k more how does it make ANY bit of sense that it gets two months LESS than a personal board? & before someone stops me & points out that it’s bc there’s 2 ppl…. say ur rp partner that u have ur joint board with has rl life interfer & can’t be around to post oh no, wat then is that person supposed to do if they don’t want them to lose their joint board? (bc idk abt u but i personally dnt want to have to use 10k pts each time i need my forum moved back, or even deal w/the ‘recreation’ of it & making sure everything gets moved back / it’s created right / etc.) r they supposed to post themselves in their board meant for 2 ppl? my point is a personal board is a board where ONE person is in control of it, wouldn’t it make more sense for these to be switched? for a personal board to be one & a joint to have three? or, let everyone win & adjust it so they both get @ least three? less work for staff & more fair for members. honestly this feels like cosl’s way of having an activity check… like i realize u want the boards to stay clean, but this is excessive.

tldr; i feel staff is overcomplicating things w/these new rules & that they r unfair in a NUMBER of ways (esp for those on cosl who DON’T main the site, that DON’T constantly post [to have a ton of racked up pts]). i realize this will probably be brushed off like the previous concerns, but as a member i feel i have the right to raise my own voice & let staff know those aren’t the only 2 people feeling that way. this system IS NOT an inclusive one (it seems to fit only those w/so many pts they don’t kno wat to do w/them - aka the “rich”) & should be reworked.

EDIT i would also like clarification now on wat the staff checks as far as 'activity' goes for the 1 month. do you only look @ the joint board ITSELF or do u go thru & check EACH individual sub forum in these joint boards (to see if each of those sub forums has been posted in every month as well)? like i assume it's only checking the joint board itself, but i want clarification on this assumption so i know if i'm correct.

tracker

crackship

x

x

lol nah
i saw sara kissing santa claus
dec 4 - my final exams will be done in NINE days and then i will be freeeeee for some time. i promise everyone i owe replies to will get them asap after that. thank you for being patient with me. luv you <3
timezone: est
mg: croquembouche
mature? yes
sara
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 23 2017, 12:08 PM
Hey reeny

we welcome all feedback and will do our best to address all of the questions and concerns you’ve brought up here.

i think that everyone on staff still knows what this site is supposed to be. we work very hard to make it that place for everyone and to keep it running on a day to day basis. we also realize that many people are not exclusively on this site, nor do they have to be. everyone has the choice and freedom to write and play wherever they choose.

in response to some of your questions, i would ask a different question in return. does anyone truly need a joint board? yes, it is nice for a pair of members for the sake of easier access and organization’s sake. but as far as the things people use the joint boards for, there are places on the site elsewhere for all of those things. threads (with tons of location options), development, character ship threads, applications, instagrams, etc. by limiting the use of joint boards, we are not restricting the ability of members to do any of the things that they would want to do in their ships with other members. all a joint board does is make it easier for members to organize and access. which is great. but while you may not care about the behind the scenes functionality of the site, i will let you know that the joint boards are one of the the things that take up the most time and space. there are nearly 40 of them right now, many with multiple subforms. it is a huge undertaking for the site and staff to even allow them. we did so because we want to try and offer new and appealing features to our members. they are a perk for getting a lot of points (whether through post activity or participating in events, or various other ways we award points), not a right.

now, a few of you’re other points. you say people wouldn’t spend 50k points for something they wouldn’t use, but, without getting into too many specifics, i will tell you that they did. which was one of the things prompting the change in the first place. we had boards made that would sit there for weeks with a single comm made in them among other things. this is what we meant by abuse of the boards. it was meant to be a place where, once you had established and grown many threads and such with another member and find yourself needing the space, you purchase it. not for people starting out together to feel things out only to make one thread and then lose interest. this was happening far too often and frankly it was adding extra work for a busy staff to create and then archive and them move those threads back and forth. you can call that selfish if you want, but like you said, everyone has real lives, including us staff, and while we care and want this to be a great place for our members, we felt something needed to be done about this issue in particular as it was out of control.

again, the reason for the price increase was simply to get people to really be selective about who they want a joint board with. instead of making them for every new person who might post in their crackship. this is not a problem with personal boards since each person only needs one. but with joint boards, as you noted, a member can have an unlimited amount (and we would never want to create a maximum and possibly prevent people from writing and plotting with more and more people or making them choose between people). we are simply trying to incentivize being more selective and the only way we have found to do that at this point is to make it cost more. if you have an alternative idea, please let us know.

-------------------

we don’t require you to transfer the points to purchase a joint board. you can simply state in your joint board purchase how many of the points to take from each member in the pair’s account and they will be deducted from there. the point transfer is if someone wanted to buy their friend a personal board or a box color of a code request. that other person would have to request it on their own so a transfer should be made between those members.

-------------------

the reason a personal board gets three and a joint board gets one is because of the kind of things they are typically used for and what we consider active for them. most people use personal boards for making lists, trackers, plot ideas, and some dev stuff. but there is not typically regular posting going on there like threads. because of this, these type of things are updated on a more occasional or infrequent basis. this is why a board is still considered active for three months. joint boards on the other hand should be used for active ships between two members. threads, comms, development, plotting. in our opinion, most (though not all) people tend to drop ships and plots and threads after a month of no reply at all. that is a much longer time in the life of a thread reply. because of this, we consider a joint board (where presumably there are multiple ships and threads going on) to be inactive if they don’t have a single reply in a whole month. (and to answer your later question, this applies to the joint board as a whole, not individual subforms). the price and the activity time do not have anything to do with each other.

we also realize that real life can interfere with rp for a whole month or more. that is why we never delete a personal or joint board and we do not require the board to be repurchased completely if it goes inactive. you will find all of them in the archives. we actually used to not charge anything either to have it moved back to the active boards. unfortunately, this also was being abused, as people would be inactive for one or three months with their board, have it archived, then have it moved back, only to never post in it still and have it archived once again, and over and over. because of this behavior, we also had to try and incentivize against this.

-------------------

you mention in your complaint that you think having them both be 3 months would give staff less work in fact, but that was actually how it was before and it was simply not the case. and they were in fact more work, which is the reason for the changes. i appreciate the consideration though about the time and work that staff does put in. i know it seems like everyone is forced to answer for a few people not using things the right way, and also that staff is trying to just make things easier on themselves. but i will mention again how much work goes into a huge site like this in terms of keeping it neat and organized and moving threads, and awarding points, and fulfilling requests, and making boards, and on and on. and yet still, we continue to try and keep adding things to make the experience better. the addition of the awards icons. the regular events. all of this takes time on top of the fact that we all just simply love to write as much as any member.

i realize this was an extremely long response, but i wanted to make sure this was fully addressed for everyone. i hope all of this was clear and answered many or all of your concerns. if you want to continue to discuss this, i welcome you to pm me or reach me on discord. i’d be happy to talk about it further.

- SARA & the COSL staff

tracker

game of thrones

greek mythology
beleth the one and only
pronouns: He/him/His
timezone: EST
mg: shortbread bites
mature? yes
Bel Bel
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 23 2017, 07:46 PM
Costing 10k to move the thread back from archives, Seems pretty fair. As I don't see a point in a joint board. so the costs are perfect. the change from 50k to 100k is also very interesting a fair.

tracker

taylor swift.
buy reputation by taylor swift + THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE! THINGS! DAR-LING!
pronouns: he/him
timezone: eastern
mature? yes
taylor
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 24 2017, 01:36 AM
hi!! reading through this would require a lot more mindspace than i currently have, and i tried my best to browse through it for an answer but i couldn't find one. if we purchased a joint board in the past, and it was archived due to not posting in it will i have to pay the full new amount to purchase if i want to reopen it? or is it still only 10k?

because i posted to have it reopened and then it was re archived less than a month later (from when i asked for it to be reopened) when neither myself or my partner had quite had a chance to post in it again, and i decided to wait until i knew we could both keep the board active to try and reopen it again.

i can't check the exact timespan since you can't tell when a joint board was archived, but i do know that i asked to have it reopened twice not too far apart, and the most recent time i believe it was a matter of days to a week before it was once again archived? we were planning on using it to chronicle some really in depth lore for a few verses, and it got archived before we finished discussing the lore last time

except now im worried i'll have to spend 1/3rd of the points i have from the year + that i've been here in order to reopen it http://i.imgbox.com/pzAiL0yE.png could someone explain to me how that's going to work re: whether i'll have to pay the reopening fee or the full purchase fee over? or would it be 50k instead, since i already purchased it once?

and if i post to have it reopened, do i then have to immediately post in it for it to not risk being archived that quickly, or is there a way you guys plan to go off of the date it was requested to be reopened maybe?

tracker

crackship

taylor swift

myoa

codes
cassie claus.
mature? yes
cassie
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 24 2017, 09:42 AM
taylor swift. it would cost 10,000 points to move it back to the joint board forum. ideally, it would be best to try to make a post when the forum does get moved back because we do go through the forums every so often to see when the last time they had been posted in and move them so that would prevent the risk of it being moved again.

once you buy a board though, you never have to repay for the entire board.

tracker

crackship

myoa

taylor swift.
buy reputation by taylor swift + THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE! THINGS! DAR-LING!
pronouns: he/him
timezone: eastern
mature? yes
taylor
    ❅   Quote   ❅     ❅     ❅   Nov 24 2017, 03:32 PM
thank you cassie!!

tracker

crackship

taylor swift

myoa

codes
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll